What's in the library?
The library’s collection reflects the activities and collecting interests of the museum. It includes:
- Publications relating to our permanent exhibition themes
- Standard reference sources on ships and shipping
- Material relating to our temporary exhibitions
- Specialist museum publications on topics like exhibitions design, conservation and restoration, museology and maritime archaeology
- A good collection of journals on shipbuilding, yachting and surfing (with an emphasis on non-current materials).
The library is open to the public by appointment only between 10.00 am – 4.00 pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays). Please telephone or email to arrange a time.
|Inter-library loans||$16.50 for a core inter-library loan request. A 24-hr turnaround is $33.00 and an Express within 2 hours is $49.50. There is no charge to libraries borrowing material for museum members or volunteers.|
|Photocopying||20 cents per A4 page, 40 cents per A3 page. Colour copies $1.00 per page. Free for members|
|Micrographic printouts||Plain paper prints from microfilm and microfiche readers, 20 cents per page|
|Individual researchers||Individual users may conduct their own research in the library free of charge.|
|Information requests from other libraries, government organisations and museums||Free of charge|
|Information requests from individuals||The library will advise researchers conducting their own research on likely sources of information and refer them to other institutions free of charge.|
|Research enquiries||The library will undertake research or supply information to a member of the public for up to 1 hour free of charge. Any further research initiated by the requester will be charged at the rate of $40.00 per hour and include copies for each hour of research time. Research is undertaken by a team of library staff and may include volunteers working under the direction of the library staff. We aim to answer public enquiries within 2 weeks (subject to staffing resources and demand for this service).|
|Corporate enquiries||Enquiries from commercial organisations are charged at $90.00 per hour plus additional costs including photocopying, database searches etc. The response time for corporate enquiries is three working days. Enquiries which elicit no results are billed at the usual rate and clients are advised of resources consulted and advised of other avenues to pursue.|
|Photographic prints from the museum’s collection||Find out about obtaining reproductions of images from our historic photograph collections or of other collection objects.|
- Phone General enquiries & appointments: 02 9298 3731. Inter-library loans: 02 9298 3739
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visiting address: Wharf 7 Maritime Heritage Centre, 58 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009 (located next to the main museum building)
- Postal address: Vaughan Evans Library Australian National Maritime Museum 2 Murray Street Sydney NSW 2000
For general enquiries & appointments phone: 02 9298 3731;
For Inter-library loans Phone: 02 9298 3739; or
Vaughan Evans OAM (1924-1993) was a founding patron of the library and a well-known figure in maritime history circles. He was a tireless proponent of the Australian National Maritime Museum and a consultant to governments on maritime heritage issues. A founder of the Australian Association for Maritime History, he was its long-time newsletter editor. His extensive personal library, donated in 1986, formed a nucleus of the library’s holdings. Vaughan was awarded the Order of Australia Medal in 1988 for his role in raising the standards and profile of the discipline of maritime history.